Direct Support Professional provides direct care and support to individuals with
developmental disabilities. The responsibilities of this role involve hands-on assistance to
the client prescribed medication and treatment, ensuring clients’ safety, providing
assistance towards clients’ goals, and achieving service objectives outlined in their
Individual Service Plan (ISP)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review clients’ Individual Service Plan (ISP), High-Risk Plan (HRP), and other care
plans prescribed to ensure clients receive appropriate care and service.
- Administer clients’ medication as per physician’s prescription and Medication
Administration Record (MAR).
- Check and review changes in medication or prescription to ensure the client receives
accurate medicine and monitor for any adverse effect.
- Notify Nursing Administrator, Physician, or Nurse Practitioner of any urgent concerns
related to medication effect, emergency, or other circumstances that require an
- Address basic care needs of clients including but not limited to the following:
medical, nutritional, hygienic, activities of daily living (ADL’s), social, recreational,
personal management, transportation, meal preparations, etc. personal hygiene
needs may require exposure to bodily fluids (feces, urine, blood, etc.).
- Observe and maintain cleanliness in the facility to ensure health standards and safety.
- Accompany and provide transportation for clients on scheduled community outings
and ensure safety.
- Assist clients to be actively involved in daily activities to achieve greater
independence using person-centered planning and self-determination.
- Ensure that clients are free from abuse, neglect, and exploitation.
- Recognize unusual or threatening conditions related to persons with disabilities and
resolve issues if necessary.
- Perform any other duties related to the field of service as may be assigned by the
Program Director, Administrator, and/or Executive Director.
- Participate in the design and implementation of each client’s program, collection and
analysis of ongoing data, and other assigned documentation pertaining to each client’s
- Participate in scheduled staff meetings and other meetings as assigned.
- Maintain and document records of participant accidents/incidents as required.
- Assist in the implementation of individual planned program goals for each client.
- Provide input and assist Program Director in planning and evaluating the program and
- Communicate with other staff regarding any changes in regulations, policies,
procedures, and general information pertaining to the program.
- Maintain and submit all required records and reports.
- Ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Adhere to scheduled working hours.
- Maintain integrity and honesty when performing duties and responsibilities. Submit
required visit notes and utilize company-provided tools and systems (Geoh) to log
actual worked hours.
I have read and have been given an opportunity to ask questions regarding this position plan. I
also understand that this position plan does not constitute an implied or expressed contract for
employment. In addition, I understand that the employment relationship with my employer is
employment at will and that the company or I may terminate the employment relationship at any
time with or without cause.
Furthermore, I understand that this position plan is intended to describe the general content and
requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement
of duties, responsibilities, or requirements, and I will perform other duties that are assigned to
me to the best of my ability.
SIGNATURE OVER PRINTED NAME